Keeping it Cool
Here at USA-Containers, LLC we specialize in “Keeping it Cool” with Cold Storage Shipping Containers. We stock our own inventory at our location in Smithshire, IL as well as deliver our containers with our own delivery trucks. Below you will find out more details and what we can offer you for your cold storage needs. It is very important to know that these are NOT blast freezers!
Cold Storage Shipping Containers, also known as Refrigerated Containers, come in two sizes.
- 20′ foot. These are 20′ long, 8′ wide, and 8’6″ tall.
- 40 foot. These are 40′ long, 8′ wide, and 9’6″ tall.
We offer three different options. All units are stainless steel inside and out. Units are supplied with Parts & Service Manuals. Below are three options we offer.
- New Container with New Machine
- Used Container with New Machine
- Used Container with Refurbished Machine
- Refurbished Machine: We stock two brands, Carrier and Thermo King. We completely refurbish our Refrigerated Machines. Basically what this means, is we restore the machine comparable to restoring a classic car. Units undergo a test run and are then completely stripped down to inspect and test all components. Any component not up to Carrier OEM Specs is then replaced. Units are then reassembled and painted. Lastly, a detailed Pre-Trip inspection and performance test are run, all with documentation for warranty purposes and maintenance records.
- Used Container: What does this mean? After years of overseas travel, the shipping line retires the boxes and offers them up for sale. They are typically 10 – 15 years old when retired. All units are water-tight, do not leak and the doors are in operating condition. However, they are rougher in appearance with more dents and dings. The dents are usually minor and superficial.
- LED Lights
- Rear Air Curtain
- 3’/5′ Easy Open Doors
- OrbComm GPS Monitoring System
- Carrier OEM Trans Kit
- 100ft 8/4 S.O. Power Cable
- Panic Alarm with Siren & Interior Switch
Cold Storage Shipping Containers units require a dedicated 460volt, 30amp or 230volt, 50amp, 3phase service. Upon your request, we will work directly with your electrician to assure the proper electrical service is in place or installed. We do have transformers for 208volt, 50amp, 3phase applications as an option. Not every unit has Transformers installed. Our units come with a 50′ 10/4 SO Cord. Most customers put in a 30 amp disconnect and hard wire the SO cord into the disconnect box.
Depending on the unit, new or used, they can range from -10°F to +80°F. New Machines have the cooling capacity to go down to -20°F.
The newer units are manufactured with an emergency button to open the door from the inside. You may also lock the container on the outside to keep your product safe on the inside.
It is common for most Cold Storage Shipping Containers to have T-Flooring, however, there are some units that have flat flooring. What is T-Flooring? Well, it is flooring that runs the length of the container and is made of aluminum. It gets its name from its shape as it is shaped like a T. This design allows air to flow to circulate the container consistently and prevents any buildup.
There are two important maintenance requirements for Cold Storage Shipping Containers.
First is the Condenser Coils. It is a good idea to get into a maintenance routine and wash the coils out about every three months. The environment will dictate whether this needs to be done more often or not. Coil maintenance will help the unit’s performance and will save on premature compressor failure.
Second is the Evaporator & Icing. The heat and humid conditions of the summer months can cause the evaporator coils to ice up. This reduces airflow and can cause the microprocessor to malfunction. If this occurs, the cargo will need to be removed from the container. Once the cargo is removed completely, the container needs to thaw until all ice is melted.
Used Machines have a 30-Day warranty. New Machines are covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. We can supply their warranty upon request. We always recommend that the units are kept OEM and only use the factory replacement parts. Otherwise, it is extremely difficult to assist with over-the-phone technical support. See Customer Service.
We offer FREE Tech Support 24/7/365 via 866-884-6859 and you will speak to an actual Reefer Technician.
Last year we opened a dedicated shop to refurbish and repair refrigerated machines. With that, we have a full line of spare parts to support our customers’ needs. In some cases, we’re able to find parts locally through the manufacturer’s dealerships. We also have a library of parts and service manuals we can email to you.
Keeping it Cool, we can usually supply and ship parts in very short order, and have even met customers halfway from their location to help get their unit up and running! We offer in-person support and phone technical support and in many cases, we have walked our customers’ technicians through the troubleshooting and repair process.
Our delivery trucks have tilt bed trailers. With the tilt bed trailers, we are able to deliver your portable cold storage container without any other equipment. We will simply back up (or pull in) to the location and the tilt bed will drop the container. Our delivery trucks require 70ft (for a 20ft container) and 105ft (for a 40ft container) of space at delivery in order to unload. You can read more about the delivery on our delivery blog post.